Notes from the Post-it Wall | Week of January 20, 2019
• Having privilege is not inherently a bad thing. It does not define who you are. What you do with that privilege does. Do you use it to help people or hurt people? Bobby Kennedy is not Donald Trump and Donald Trump is no Bobby Kennedy. (Baby brother Teddy was no Bobby either when he used his privilege to let a dead girl get waterlogged in his sunken car.)
• If you can hear your neighbors fucking it’s because you’re not fucking loud enough.
• For my next birthday, I’d like to get as many of my Facebook friends as I can into one room. Then I’d like to watch them discuss and debate the same things they’ve discussed and debated on my Facebook page while having to look at and listen to each other in real time. I wonder if the discourse would be more civil or become even more heated and hateful leading to all of them killing each other immediately before the cake and candles are brought out. Either way, it’d be for the best.
• It’s an odd thought for me that one day, my son will have the language skills to say in English what I believe he’s saying to the Roomba through grunts and squeals: “Hey, motherfucker, get back here! I’m not done with you.”
• I don’t need to feel appreciated by those closest to me as much as I need to feel they actually like me.
• How many consecutive days can I wear the same pair of long underwear before my self-respect should be called into question?